July 27, 2018
Proposed Overhaul of Evaluation and Management (E/M) Codes
CMS is proposing to streamline the E/M codes for office and outpatient visits in its CY 2019 Physician Fee Schedule rule. If finalized, there will only be a single documentation requirement and payment rate for E/M levels two through five. CMS predicts that this policy will save 51 hours of medical documentation per clinician annually and eliminate 500 years of administrative burden. Despite the reduced burden, physicians fear the policy could lead to significant payment cuts for certain specialties. Although these changes would only apply to office and outpatient visits (codes 99201-99215), the agency intends to streamline other E/M code categories in the future.
Also in Policy Brief:
- The State of the Health Insurance Exchanges
- Trump vs Big Pharma: Will He Bring Prices Down?
- Policy Makers Explore Changes to Stark Law
- 340B Update
- Medicaid Benefits Restored in Kentucky
- A Look at The Federal Register