March 4, 2022
President Biden Addresses the Nation
President Biden’s State of the Union address this week laid out his vision for tackling many health care related issues. Here’s a breakdown of the key areas he highlighted:
- Behavioral Health and the Opioid Crisis
- Strengthening Nursing Home Oversight
- The President signaled that CMS will set higher standards for nursing homes and increase inspections of facilities.
- Medicare Drug Pricing Negotiations
- Biden urged Congress to let Medicare negotiate drug prices, and that the price of insulin should be capped at $35 a month. Both of those proposals cleared the House in November as part of the Build Back Better Act, which ended up falling apart in the Senate.
- Combating Cancer
- Biden called for Congress to fund his proposed biomedical research agency, the Advanced Research Projects Agency for Health (ARPA-H) to cut cancer death rates in half over the next 25 years.