What is AHPA?
The Adventist Health Policy Association (AHPA) is an affiliation of Seventh-day Adventist-sponsored health care systems across the US. AHPA serves as the policy voice for 83 hospitals in 17 states. Affiliated health entities include over 300 other provider organizations including associated medical groups, nursing homes, outpatient centers
What are AHPA’s goals?
The primary goals of AHPA is to help ensure that member hospitals can provide high quality, accessible health care is available to the communities we serve. To do this, AHPA members will:
- Make sure that existing and new federal legislation, policy, rules and guidelines allow AHPA members to fulfill their mission of outstanding, faith-based health care.
- Analyze the impact of proposed federal policy and regulations on Adventist hospitals, focusing on five to six common issues each year.
- Demonstrate a united voice for health policy issues in which Members have common interests.
What are AHPA’s top policy priorities?
AHPA’s 2016 priorities include:
- Not-For-Profit accountability
- Community Benefit
- End of Life/Palliative Care
- Workforce Development
- Mend Act
- Regulatory Modernization
How is AHPA governed?
Each AHPA organization has one Board seat held by the system CEO. A Management Committee (again, one member per system) meets monthly. The President of the AHPA Board is Terry Shaw, who is with
Why did you form AHPA?
Adventist hospitals are a large part of the hospital sector in the United States. AHPA members wish to build on the strength of our network and the shared goals of our Seventh-day Adventist hospital organizations. The work of AHPA is conducted in a manner consistent with the values of Seventh-Day Adventist-sponsored organizations.
What is the focus of Seventh- day Adventist health care?
Since the mid-1800s, Adventist health facilities have focused on the provision of faith-based health care. Around the world, the Church operates over 500 healthcare facilities dedicated to helping people achieve mind, body and spiritual wholeness.
Where is AHPA headquartered?
Washington, D.C. near Capitol Hill.